Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's in your cup, baby?

What's in that teacup of yours, baby? A lovely, wholesome, delicious beverage, of course! But is that all there is to it?

Are you watching your tea leaves swell and unfurl? Good. Now, close your eyes. Breathe in the natural aromas of your ingredients. That's it . . . breathe in, breathe out. Now, slowly take a small sip from your cup. Hey, don't rush! Are you tasting with your entire palate? Really? Try again. What flavors do you taste -- and do you taste them simultaneously? Or do they reveal themselves slowly, gradually, layer after layer?

Tea is so much more than a beverage. It's an opportunity to experience the world around us with senses engaged and with an open heart and mind. It's an opportunity to live in the moment!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly - having tea is so much more than just drinking a beverage. It provides a moment of reflection before starting a busy day, or to escape to different place. Every time I have a cup of Darjeeling (I'm having a Selimbong estate now), I think of the steep Himalayan hills in India and the strong women who venture up there to harvest the tea leaves.

Chai Baby said...

Hi, Emilie, thanks for sharing what drinking tea does for you. Sounds like you have some beautiful memories of Darjeeling!

I also feel, from pre-cup to post-cup, that something really changes for me, that I feel the world around me more intensely and more consciously.

Kris said...

I am seeing a slow change in my office; especially around the traditional coffee pot! Now, we have several brands of tea packets also!!

I will introduce my friends to "Chai Baby". Maybe oneday, we may not have the coffee pot anymore!

Chai Baby said...

Hi, Kris, it's great to hear about the gradual transformation of your office break area. Tea always provides a wholesome, healthy way to refresh and recharge during the workday. It's certainly my break of choice!